We came through the dark archway into the dazzling light, intense heat and spectacular view of the Taj Mahal. Spectacular is such an inadequate word, we should pen a new one. Twenty five people diverse in almost every way but united in our response to the sight. Many of us had spent the previous evening walking through the crowded alley like streets of old Delhi on our way to Karim’s a kebab restaurant in this primarily vegetarian country. We had not yet lost Josh, gotten on the wrong train, had our guide threatened by police, been felled one by one by the stomach warriors of India or fallen in love with the women and especially children of the villages, but we were already fascinated and ready to begin our tour of two countries with our fearless leaders Professor Kevin Kolben and Harsh Dutia. We thank them for sharing this country with us and leading us on this journey to which they dedicated their time and their hearts. - Professor Judy Iskovitz (2010 Course)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Change of Heart

Throughout the time we spent in India, several people told us that "whatever you have heard about India is true, however, the opposite is also true". As the days went on, I began to see just how accurate this statement was.

I do not wish to recant my initial opinion about India, because that is how I felt at the time. However, after spending more time there, I feel obligated to add to it. I am amazed at how a place that at first glance was described as "dirty" and "poor", became one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, upon taking a closer look.

In the beginning, I could not get past the culture shock, but once I allowed myself to step outside of my comfort zone, I was able to not only accept India's differences, but embrace them. Ultimately, what I found was a society that works, and works well.

No comments:

Post a Comment